Project on automation of liquid level monitoring system is successfully completed
ElMetro company has successfully completed project on automation of liquid level monitoring system for drilling mud tanks with the usage of multichannel videographic recorders ElMetro-ViER-104K. The project is implemented at the Odoptu field (Sakhalin) in collaboration with Halliburton company.
Nowadays mineral resources are mainly extracted by means of drilling wells. Though sometimes mining is also used. Life cycle of oil wells includes several major stages:
• Construction of onshore facilities;
• Borehole sinking;
• Zones isolation;
• Well development.
Well development starts from gradual achievement of the maximum productivity of the well and ends with a stage when production rate is small and high water content of crude oil. At the end of the extraction, the well is to be shut down (suspended) taking in consideration that abandoned well can be re-entered and restored to production.
One of suspension methods of exhausted oil wells is to fill them with drilling fluid based on clay or concrete. Drilling fluids are sensitive to environmental changes and must be stored in a specific way in special storage tanks, fluid state should be controlled by high-precision measuring equipment. Fluid level inside the tanks must be continuously monitored during filling and emptying the tanks.
Description of monitoring system
The Odoptu field, where the works were carried out, has six zones of level control for various liquids stored in 58 tanks.
Monitoring system ensures following functions:
• Indication of reaching a target level;
• Control of two filling levels: upper (operating) and upper (emergency);
• Constant display (in cubic meters and in percent) of tanks liquid level in visual control panel;
• Guarantee of level meters proper operation;
• Light and sound signaling at actuation of upper level of any tank in present zone;
• Archiving measured values at the lower level in recorders and at the upper level in SCADA system;
• Ability to exchange information with other systems via standard digital protocols (Modbus RTU/TCP, OPC DA).
All system components are provided with explosion proof and installed on supports with ingress protection IP67. Visualization is provided on the basis of multichannel videographic recorders ElMetro-ViER-104K installed in warming cabinets within easy reach by storage.
Design engineering by ElMetro company ElMetro-Engineering LLC invites project organizations and engineering companies to cooperation and offers following services:
• Creation and maintenance of a new facility (from front end works to design engineering);
• Analysis of the project concepts;
• Experts consultation and assistance at the project engineering;
• Development of design and process engineering solutions;
• Selection of proper equipment;
• Project development;
• Examination of design solutions and development of process engineering solutions;
• Risk estimation and analysis;
• Preparation of design and estimate documentation;
• Data collection and analysis at all development stages of the project;
• Fulfillment of supervising functions;
• Fulfillment of all installation, supervision and pre-commissioning works for automatic technological process control system (ATPCS).